Sunday, September 26, 2010

Continuing Crafting Writers!!

Through the readings I have done this past week, I have become jealous!  I am jealous I never had a teacher who taught writing in the way future and current teachers are learning to teach it today.  I feel as though teaching children different writing crafts and having conferences to discuss what students can do to improve their writings is such a great idea! 
There were so many great ideas to include in a future classroom and I can't wait to try to use this style with children myself!  The idea I love the most that Elizabeth Hale introduces is the idea of the Try-It section of the writers notebook.  I feel as though this is a great idea to quickly observe the students and make sure they are on the right track.  It is also a great resource for students when they are looking for ways to spice up their writing.  Many times while I was a young student, I would learn different ideas through lessons the teachers would present, and forget them as soon as I learned them.  Through the children developing a try-it section, forgetting becomes almost impossible.  It is hard to forget about a writing technique when it is placed in the back of the notebook where you produce your writing.
Through this book, I have become super excited about teaching writing to future students.  I feel as though I have become more confident in my ability to access student writing.  I am looking forward to reading more helpful, insightful pieces of literature in the coming weeks! 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Tina! Hale does have a knack for building confidence to teachers as she encourages them to think out-of-the-box by presenting techniques in various ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,
    I couldn't agree with you more!

    ReplyDelete