Sunday, November 7, 2010

MGRP reflection


Through the completion of my multigenre research paper, I learned a lot.  I learned a lot about my topic of critical literacy as well as ways to improve my writing and research skills.  I have never really liked writing papers, but being given the option to write about anything within elementary literacy, I became much more interested in my research.  The actual research was a lot more fun than normal research and the creation of the genre pieces was tons of fun.    
After finishing my project, I feel as though I have developed a better sense of the way I would like my future students to complete research papers.  The paper itself will always be the hardest part for many children, but when given an opportunity to write about whatever a person chooses, the paper becomes more fun.  I feel as though the genre pieces could be used even by themselves without the paper in certain circumstances.  I am positive I will at least use the genre pieces in my future teaching.  I really enjoyed taking what I had researched and had knowledge on and turning it into something else.  It was a creative way to reiterate what I already knew and make the knowledge even more concrete.

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking that if the research paper itself were presented as just another genre it might not be so daunting. I think research papers get built up to crazy sizes in students' minds because teachers make such a big deal about. If we asked them to approach the research paper as just another genre by learning what it is that makes it a research paper, it might be a little easier to do, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty, that is an interesting idea. Given that students don't already feel overwhelmed by the term "research paper", it may just work!

    ReplyDelete