Sunday, October 24, 2010

Poetry and Literacy Invitations!

While reading about poetry this week, I was thinking back to my knowledge about poetry and what I had learned about it as a  young child.  I felt as though I could relate to Sadie, the girl quoted at the beginning of the chapter.  I feel as though it was always a topic that was brought to light for a few days or a few weeks and then pushed aside.  I know I am unable to name many poets.  I had never really thought about my lack of poetry knowledge until today.  I love all the ways Allen suggests introducing it to the children.  I really like the I am poems and the list maker poems because I feel as though they are very accessible to all students, and I feel as though anyone could feel confident writing in these styles. 
I also read about literacy invitations this week.  I had previously read, viewed, and constructed my own literacy invitation for a class this past summer.  I find them to be very neat, mind opening, projects for children.  They allow for a lot of critical thinking skills to develop and for children to almost direct their own learning.  I feel as though if literacy invitations were used when I was a child, I would have loved them.  I feel as though everyone enjoys learning about what interest them.  I am curious to know how long the idea of these invitations as been around.  I have worked in a couple of schools and sadly, I have never seen an invitation in action.  I have only seen what one looks like on paper, not in action.  I wonder if many teachers use them or if many teachers are informed about them.

2 comments:

  1. When I went back to look at the invitations I had written for the tradebooks class, I found they were part of a larger focus study that included other elements. I think many teachers have felt pushed to abandon research, particularly in the younger elementary years, because administrators and parents want to see progress in the basics. It's hard to prove that the basics are being worked on when you're doing something the kids get deeply into, and it's probably difficult to schedule when there are so many mandatory things to squeeze into a day. I think it will only become more challenging as time goes on to carve out time for the things that are truly worthwhile in education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote this on Courtney's blog too, but this is a GREAT book for a penny on Amazon that has a lot of great poems for kids (http://www.amazon.com/World-Treasury-Childrens-Literature-Book/dp/0316273023/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288018403&sr=1-3). I'm sure there are other great collections too, but this was one we had at home that has broadened my knowledge of good poets to introduce to students.

    ReplyDelete